The Traverse Theatre and Grid Iron are looking to connect with a UK based emerging British East Asian theatre director, to undertake an assistant director placement on upcoming co-production, Strange Tales adapted from the tales of Pu Songling by Pauline Lockhart and Ben Harrison.
This opportunity provides the unique context of working as an assistant director to support co-directors/co-writers, Ben Harrison and Pauline Lockhart in the rehearsal process for the staging of the piece.
As Assistant Director, your duties would include:
- Providing general assistance to the Directors
- As agreed with the Directors, carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production
- To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings
- To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed
- To observe and assist the Directors in the production week as required
- To attend and participate in post-show discussions and/or other engagement activity by mutual agreement with the Traverse Theatre
- To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including attending and noting the production
- Participate in the delivery of workshops and community activity as agreed with the Traverse Theatre
Rehearsals from: w/c 4 November 2019
First preview: 30 November 2019
Press: 3 December 2019
Closes: 21 December 2019
The Assistant Director position on Strange Tales is intended to be a learning and training opportunity. The candidate will have a proven interest in creating contemporary theatre and desire to utilise this learning experience as an opportunity for professional development.
We welcome applications from those with directing experience, and also artists who wish to begin a crossover into directing.
An understanding/knowledge of a Chinese language or languages is desirable, but not essential for this role.
Please send a completed application pack to email@example.com by 12noon on Monday 26 of August.